- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Ensures the development of policies, procedures, standards of care, and standards of practice are consistent with current practice and professional standardsConducts legal research as needed, and requested, on various legal issues.
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.Structures and manages the company’s internal legal and Risk functions and associated staff.
- Oversees the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, attends NorthBay Board meetings as requested.
- Facilitates professional growth and development of management staff.
- Establishes performance standards by which to measure the effectiveness, competency, and efficiency of assigned personnel.
- Participates with other senior managers in the development of programs that may be offered through NorthBay Healthcare Group or NorthBay Healthcare.
- Other duties as assigned.
Juris Doctor or Doctor of Jurisprudence from an accredited college or university; eligible to practice law in the state of California; and a member of the California bar in good standing.
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in a law firm environment preferably a prominent national law firm before moving to an in-house position.
- Experience in a multi-hospital and integrated system preferred.
- Previous experience preparing and presenting oral and written reports.
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors.
- Familiarity and understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley and legislation and related FASB revenue recognition guidelines.
- Familiarity and recent experience with Employment, Wage and Hour, and Worker’s Comp Law preferred.
- Experience in directing strategy and managing complex IP litigation cases.
- Broad, overview experience in intellectual property law, including patent law, licensing of IP rights and IP due diligence preferred.
- Exposure to or familiarity with the following areas of law: contract, securities, antitrust, computer law and privacy preferred.
Previous experience demonstrating strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage relationships in professional circumstances, including leadership skills, conflict management and resolution, and team building skills.