First Republic Bank (FRB) is looking to hire a seasoned attorney to join the Legal Team as a Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, Commercial Business Lending, to be based in San Francisco. This Assistant General Counsel will join an existing legal team that supports First Republic’s commercial lending activity nationwide.The successful candidate will act as a primary legal advisor on transactions across the Bank’s multi-faceted commercial business lending activity nationwide. This position will work closely with client-facing Business Bankers to assist with loan transactions from origination through the life of the loan and will also interact with other FRB attorneys to assist on broader legal matters.
What you’ll be doing as a Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, Commercial Business Lending:
– Providing legal advice and services to the Business Banking Lending business line.
– Drafting, consulting, and advising (both internally and externally) on documentation for all commercial business lending products including interacting with the Commercial Closing Department and outside legal counsel.
– Advising and helping guide the business teams and executive credit loan committee on loan structuring, troubled loan, and workout scenarios.
– Ensuring the business line complies with all applicable state and federal laws, regulations, and guidance.
– Assisting in the formulation, communication, and implementation of strategic business plans and other strategic and systems initiatives to help the business line function more efficiently.
– Managing outside counsel and vendors as appropriate.
– Producing deliverables to support internal and external audits, regulatory examinations, or any other oversight review in the set time frame.
– Performing other duties specific to department functions and/or supporting broader corporate needs as appropriate.
You could be a great fit if you have:
– Fifteen (15) plus years of related legal experience in-house, at another leading bank, or in private practice (or some combination thereof).
– Experience advising on complex business transactions.
– Expertise analyzing, drafting and negotiating transactional and other legal documents.
– An undergraduate degree and a JD from a top institution; licensed to practice law in California.
– An understanding of banking laws and regulations.
– Familiarity with private banking offerings, including credit products and estate/trust law.
– Experienced in one or more of Bank’s specialized commercial loan products: fund finance, letters of credit, non-profit tax-exempt lending, health care (lending to health care professionals) and/or Regulation U lending.
– Experience overseeing complex transactions and negotiations working across the table from top corporate law firm attorneys.
– Strong leadership and business acumen including the ability to adapt to change and drive business growth, conceptualizing and implementing strategic objectives, and navigating dynamic practice areas.
– While this position will not primarily support commercial real estate transactions, a working knowledge of commercial real estate is also helpful.