A forward-thinking company backed by history, science, and technology, creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it is reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 15 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery and health wellness to people around the world.
Ancestry is seeking a full-time Privacy & Product Counsel to join our dynamic and evolving legal team. You will join the team supporting all aspects of Ancestry’s business, with particular focus on user-facing products (Family History, DNA/Origins, Newspapers.com, Fold3, etc.) and the content and infrastructure needed to make them successful.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Advise operations, product, and engineering teams throughout the product development life cycle, from initial idea to launch, on a range of consumer protection, compliance, and other issues (including occasional first impression legal issues).
Help guide the development and launch of product features and functionalities within legal constraints while maintaining flexibility for business optionality.
Provide pragmatic day-to-day and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
Review content acquisition agreements and provide legal advice to the content acquisition team on various issues relating to licensing content, scanning, and indexing records. Coordinate effectively with varied stakeholders, including other legal specialists (International, DNA, Marketing), the security team and others. Research, analyze, advise, train, and provide legal direction to internal stakeholders on legal, regulatory and compliance issues, including privacy, data security and consumer protection laws.
Skills and Competencies:
• Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities with limited supervision
• Keen to understand, learn about and integrate with the business and to develop the role in-line with business requirements
• Ability to develop and manage relationships at key levels in the business
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels both written and verbally
• Strong computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Slack, etc.
• Pragmatic, credible, confident, and proactive contributor
• Willing to pitch in on other legal projects as needed, e.g. marketing, support for member services, commercial etc.
Qualifications and Prior Experience:
• J.D. with excellent academic credentials from an ABA accredited law school, with an active license to practice law and at least 5 years of experience.
• IAPP certification preferred, not required.
• In-house experience preferred advising business, product and/or engineering teams on legal, regulatory, and compliance issues relating to the development of Internet and mobile products and services.
• Experience with an online, consumer-focused, international company.
How to Apply:
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry because of the referral or through other means.