Gap was founded in 1969 with a simple idea — make it easier to find a pair of jeans that fit with a commitment to do more. In the 50+ years since, the company has grown into seven brands, and our initial commitment to do more has grown into a global ambition to champion equality, inclusivity and sustainability.
We take pride in creating products our customers love while doing right by our customers, community and planet.
The Sr Counsel Product, Customer & Digital acts as the senior legal business partner to Gap Inc. brands to counsel on marketing, advertising, and commercial activities, including managing related contracts, disputes and litigation. In particular, this Sr Counsel Product, Customer & Digital will focus on supporting and advising on commercial, operational, marketing/advertising/promo/pricing matters, customer privacy, product review, product claims, brand protection, and alleged infringements. This Sr Counsel Product, Customer & Digital will need strong business and customer acumen, excellent communication and relationship building skills, and the ability to pivot on complex legal matters for the continued growth of the company. You will be directly involved in driving strategy, counseling the business, and helping to develop processes to mitigate risk and protect Gap Inc.’s interests. Success in this role will depend on effective collaboration with cross-functional team members and business partners and thus requires strong management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Advise on legal clearance of advertising and marketing materials, product claims, promotional offers, contests and sweepstakes, social media, and product designs.
• Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of marketing, sponsorship, co-branding, licensing, and creative services agreements.
• Advise and train on a range of questions that may arise in connection with our products, including those related to product safety, labeling, performance claims, regulatory compliance, contractual relationships and consumer privacy.
• Manage and drive effective resolution of commercial and IP-related claims and litigation, including alleged infringements.
• Proactively identify business issues, potential liability and reputational risks, and collaborate with business partners on creative and practical solutions.
• Direct the work of counsel, paralegals and supervise outside counsel.
• Juris Doctor or LLM from an accredited law school. Licensed to practice law in the U.S.
• Minimum 8 years relevant legal experience in domestic and international intellectual property, including expertise in providing marketing/advertising/promotional advice, trademark prosecution and enforcement, trademark clearance, copyright counseling as related to fashion design, intellectual property-related contract drafting. In-house experience and/or retail or consumer products experience a plus.
• Able to cut through complexity to distill the most important issues
• Able to work independently and cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment
• Practical mindset with ability to balance legal risk with business impact
• Action-oriented, able to prioritize and juggle multiple matters
• People management experience a plus