Personal Characteristics and Skills
To succeed in this role, you will need to possess and exemplify excellent business judgment and critical thinking; maintain a strong work ethic and a high degree of accountability; and have the ability to use business context to generate pragmatic and effective legal solutions to achieve business objectives while mitigating risks. You should be able to work independently as well as collaboratively and flexibly in a fast-paced and constantly evolving environment; and adapt your approach and demeanor to match shifting demands of different situations. You should possess excellent communication skills (oral and written) and sophisticated influencing skills to build trusted relationships both within and outside the department. Success requires self-motivation, inquisitiveness, confidence, diligence and a passion to learn about new technologies and to pave ways in unchartered territories.
- Support product development, readiness and releases by reviewing product release checklists for issues related to intellectual property, open source, data privacy & security, marketing, competition, payment, and other legal and regulatory issues
- Build a trusted advisor relationship with senior managers
- Engage with product team members, including product managers, field strategists, software engineers, data scientists, technical writers and marketing managers
- Support M&A activities, including diligence and integration
- Review, draft and negotiate technology agreements, including inbound/OEM license agreements, MSP/ISV agreements, partner interoperability agreements, strategic alliance agreements, consulting and development agreements
- Perform due diligence to ensure compliance with third-party agreements, open source licenses, security attestations and government regulations and certifications
- Develop positive, strong, and collaborative relationships with cross-functional partners across Splunk to effectively deliver on complex tasks
- Pitch in on other responsibilities as needed
- JD degree from ABA accredited university and member in good standing of the Bar in the relevant jurisdiction
- Minimum of 8 years of experience providing legal support to technology businesses at both a well-regarded law firm and corporate legal department
- At least 8 years in the software/SaaS industry with strong understanding of cloud service offerings, including managed service offerings and multi-tenant SaaS architecture
- Ability to understand technical lingo and concepts as well as be fluent in enterprise software development methods and business models
- Understanding of Big Data (including ML/AI) preferred
- Expertise in intellectual property, open source issues, data privacy, and information and product security
- Deep experience and knowledge in reviewing technology license agreements and negotiating difficult transactions
- Experience working with software developers and product managers to guide compliance and resolve complicated issues in creative and effective ways
We value diversity at our company. Everyone who applies with the qualifications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in certain locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.