Flynn Restaurant Group
Greg Flynn, founded Flynn Restaurant Group (FRG) in 1999 with the acquisition of eight Applebee’s in Washington State.
Since then the company has grown at over 20% a year and in the process has become the largest restaurant franchise and one of the 20 largest foodservice companies of any kind in the United States. While the company’s initial focus was growing within the Applebee’s system, it has since added three other leading brands starting with Taco Bell in 2013, followed by Panera in 2015, and most recently Arby’s in 2018.
Today, through its four wholly-owned subsidiaries, Apple American, Bell American, Pan American, and RB American, FRG owns over 460 Applebee’s, 270 Taco Bells, 130 Panera cafes, and 360 Arby’s, representing $2.4 Billion in Sales and directly employing more than 48,000 people in 34 states.
The company proudly stands by Greg’s operating philosophy to provide friendly service, cultivate customer loyalty and make sure each guest has a quality experience. This mindset permeates all aspects of the business and has helped to establish a highly inclusive and collaborative culture – the team has a sense of pride and a deep connection with the company’s mission and success.
Going forward the company plans to continue its aggressive growth by building and acquiring additional restaurants as well as opportunistically expanding into other brands and businesses.
All four concepts are assisted by Support Centers located in Independence, Ohio; San Francisco, California; and West Linn, Oregon.
Flynn Restaurant Group (together with its subsidiaries Apple American Group, Bell American Group, Pan American Group, and RB American Group) seeks its first in-house real estate attorney. Reporting to the General Counsel, the successful candidate will lead and manage all legal aspects of the Company’s real estate and construction operations across the country.
This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and growing in-house legal department in a high-visibility, high-impact role, supporting real estate and construction operations for more than 1,200 restaurants across 34 states. In addition to collaborating closely with the real estate department, you will have the opportunity to work cross-functionally across additional business lines and support general corporate initiatives. This is the perfect role for someone seeking to take on a leadership role at rapidly growing company featuring some of the most recognizable and beloved restaurant brands in the nation.
This position can be remote or based in our San Francisco, CA or Independence, OH support centers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Review, draft, and negotiate real estate agreements, including but not limited to leases, lease amendments, subleases, real estate purchase agreements, estoppels, SDNAs, CC&Rs, easements, and related agreements.
– Conduct due diligence for property acquisitions, including review of environmental reports, title matters, surveys, zoning, and service agreements.
– Review, draft, and negotiate construction and design contracts to support the Company’s new construction and remodel initiatives.
– Prepare lease summaries and analyses.
– Provide legal advice and assistance on real estate, development, and related corporate matters.
– Support in-house litigation team on real estate and construction-related pre-litigation and litigation matters.
– Develop processes and procedures to increase efficiencies, manage and utilize data, and help support growing real estate and legal departments.
Qualifications and Prior Experience:
– 8+ years of real estate experience in a law firm and/or as an in-house attorney.
– Juris Doctor from an accredited law school; member in good standing of at least one state bar.
– Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
– Demonstrated ability to guide multiple objectives and initiatives simultaneously.
– Dedication to exceptional client service.
– Ability to operate as a team player who can effectively work with and manage legal staff and business clients cooperatively and efficiently.
– Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
– Sound and practical business judgment and good old-fashioned common sense.
– An upbeat, can-do attitude, in keeping with the company’s “Own It!” philosophy.
– And you should love being a lawyer!