Provides and supervises outside counsel in providing, legal services to support a wide range of real estate and commercial activities of the company. This includes real estate matters generally (including leases, licenses, easements and other rights-of-way, acquisitions and dispositions, and franchise agreement issues unique to utilities) and commercial transactions for a gas utility, such as infrastructure construction and operation, gas commodity purchasing and trading activities, gas storage and interstate pipeline capacity transactions, utility tariff customer contracts, investment & RD&D transactions, financings and collateral, corporate governance and other corporate matters, intellectual property licensing, brand protection and marketing, oil & gas and antitrust, with some exposure to environmental issues.
• Acts as lead counsel drafting and negotiating contracts in a wide variety of disciplines and managing outside counsel and associated experts when applicable and appropriate.
• Advises internal client groups and assists in formulating and implementing objectives, plans, policies and procedures pertaining to real estate and commercial activities.
• Providing and supervising preventive law and compliance guidance to multiple client groups.
• Interact regularly with internal clients and understand the goals and sensitivities of client groups.
• Ensure that law department management and/or business unit leadership stays regularly informed regarding matters assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Experience and understanding of the energy and regulated utility environment is strongly desired.
• Experience with contract analysis, drafting and negotiating for a wide range of real estate and commercial contracts.
• Experience in resolving real estate disputes and with condemnation proceedings.
• Understanding of and experience in zoning and land use law
• Some domestic travel will be required, mostly within the State of California.
• Personal and professional integrity of the highest order.
• Knowledge in commercial law, with the ability to apply this knowledge accurately to various legal situations affecting client groups.
• Ability to identify and address legal issues in ongoing operations and new business ventures.
• Developed business sense with ability to quickly understand the company’s business operations and assess and anticipate legal and risk issues impacting operations.
• Ingenuity and analytical ability.
• The ability to work cross functionally and build consensus among various stakeholders
• Maturity of judgment.
• Communicates in a clear, concise, understandable manner, both orally and in writing; ability to convey complex legal issues.
• Tact and diplomacy.
• Clear and accurate writing with attention to detail.
• The ideal candidate will be thoughtful and creative in his/her analysis. He/she will be an expert with oral and written skills to be able to effectively communicate the information in a manner that instills confidence. We are seeking a team player with strong inter-personal skills and the ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
• JD (Juris Doctor) Graduation from an accredited law school – Required.
• Top academic credentials strongly desired.
• At least eight years of relevant experience, including five or more years of hands-on experience in real estate law – Required.
• Experience at a well-established top tier law firm and/or in-house counsel in a commercial or real estate focused legal department.
Licenses and Certifications
• Licensed and admitted to practice law in a US jurisdiction – Required. California admitted candidates are strongly preferred but exceptional candidates admitted elsewhere in the US will be considered.Work Schedule
BLENDED: Work a mix of onsite and remote each week, typically 2-3 days onsite per week.
Competitive Benefits Package
SoCalGas offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. These benefits include, but are not limited to:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance that begins on the first day of employment
• Permissive time off policy for newly hired employees
• Generous 401(k) plan and company match
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Life insurance and disability coverage
• Bonus, Restricted Stock, and Pension Plan Eligible
• And more!