HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you’re part of something bigger, it’s because you are. At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together—researching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. It’s time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Senior Counsel – Patent – Biosimilar/Innovator Biologics
Preferably, this role will be based on our main corporate campus in Thousand Oaks, CA but may alternatively be located in San Francisco, CA or Cambridge, MA. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the position will initially be based remotely until staff in this role return to work at the Amgen site.
What you will do:
Let’s do this. Let’s change the world. In this vital role you will develop, implement and execute a market access strategy for Amgen’s biosimilar and/or innovator molecules, including freedom-to-operate analyses for drug substance, drug product, formulations, processes, and methods of treatment.
Key Responsibilities could include:
- Handling all aspects of intellectual property, especially in identification of relevant patents, conducting searches for prior art, analyzing third party patents, developing persuasive legal arguments, drafting opinions, working with experts, and performing other pre-litigation activities
- Developing and implementing global freedom-to-operate strategies for Amgen products in collaboration with other in-house attorneys
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications and providing patent litigation support
- Developing and counseling others on intellectual property strategies associated with Amgen’s business and research endeavors
- Working individually, in legal teams, and in cross-functional business teams
- 10% domestic and global travel anticipated.
What we expect of you:
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is an attorney with these qualifications.
- J.D. degree or LL.M. degree from an accredited law school, admission to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction and four (4) years of experience practicing intellectual property law
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- 7+ years of experience practicing patent or intellectual property law.
- Enthusiasm for joining a cutting-edge biosimilar practice group at a leading biotechnology company.
- Experience in U.S. and/or foreign intellectual property law relating to biotechnology at a law firm or biotechnology/pharmaceutical corporation.
- Experience in U.S. and/or foreign adversarial proceedings (such as patent litigation, Inter Partes Reviews, Post Grant Reviews, or oppositions), including experience developing and implementing a global freedom-to-operate strategy.
- Undergraduate degree in the sciences and a working understanding of molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology, structural biology, pharmaceutics, or chemical engineering. Preferably, an advanced degree, such as a Master’s or Ph.D., or research experience in one of these areas.
- Excellent judgement, analytical skills, legal drafting and oral and written communication skills.
- Strong management and client counseling skills. Ability to work independently and in teams, navigate through ambiguity, work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet fast-paced deadlines, and manage multifaceted projects in a fast-paced environment.
What you can expect of us:
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
Amgen’s outstanding compensation package features comprehensive benefits. To learn more about this opportunity and to apply, please visit us online at http://careers.amgen.com/ and search job #R-113753.