Roofstock is the leading marketplace for investing in single-family rental homes. Our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective and simple. We want to use technology to transform the way real estate is bought and sold and make real estate investing as simple as investing in stocks. Simply put, we are passionate about helping our customers build wealth through real estate.
Roofstock has been recognized as a great workplace by Great Place to Work® and was recently named to the Forbes Fintech 50 and the Red Herring 100 lists of most innovative companies. Roofstock has raised over $135M to date, is based in Oakland, California and Dallas,Texas, with approximately 180 people and is growing rapidly. Check out our reviews and see why our employees love working here!
Are you a creative problem solver with great judgment, impeccable writing skills, and a love for working with marketing and other creative folks? Roofstock is looking for a Senior Counsel, Marketing to join our growing legal team. Roofstock is the leading marketplace for investing in single-family rental homes, using technology to transform the way real estate is bought and sold. Our goal is to make real estate investing stock-market simple.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In this role, you will report to the Associate General Counsel and serve as the company’s primary legal partner to our Marketing Team, serving the retail marketplace, institutional services, securities offering, and investor education arms of the business. This role has the potential to grow to include oversight over more areas, including privacy. Together with the legal team, you’ll provide critical and time-sensitive support needed to spread the word about the innovative ways in which Roofstock helps its clients build generational wealth through real estate.
As our ideal candidate, you bring passion and a solid foundation in the law to your job. You understand how to balance business need with sound legal advice. You have significant experience in consumer protection and marketing law, and are also open-minded, intellectually curious, and able to pitch in to advise on other legal issues as necessary. You are as comfortable driving projects as you are jumping in to help on other matters, regardless of the work to be done. You are a flexible and creative thinker who can empathize with our clients inside the business as well as with users on both sides of our marketplace. You are a natural teacher and have a solution-oriented approach to delivering legal advice. Lastly, you want to be part of a low-ego, high-performance company where everyone steps in to help achieve company goals of changing the way real estate is bought and sold globally.
What You Bring With You:
• 7+ years of relevant legal experience.
• Experience advising on marketing law and consumer protection issues, including FTC guidelines on endorsements, truth in advertising, TCPA, CANSPAM, and state promotions laws.
• Experience implementing and drafting social media guidelines and reviewing those communications.
• Experience educating and counseling business clients on endorsements, testimonials, accuracy, and adtech.
• Comfort independently drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and policies, including IP licenses, partnership agreements, services agreements, terms and conditions and guidelines for the business.
• Commercial awareness of and interest in real estate, and specifically, the single-family rental space.
• Desire to take a significant role in shaping the future of a leading prop tech startup.
• Ability to translate complex legal concepts into actionable guidance for business teams.
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple inquiries and requests, supporting multiple cross-functional teams.
• JD degree, excellent academic credentials, and admission to at least one US state bar.
• Good sense of humor, collaborative work style, sound judgment, pride in your work, ability to identify problems and propose solutions to them, and a desire to work with a dynamic-growth company in the prop-tech space.
Additional Qualifications (these should not discourage you from applying):
• Relevant in-house legal experience, in addition to law firm experience.
• Experience implementing privacy laws and regulations, including the California Consumer Privacy Act.
• Experience applying consumer protection and marketing laws to the real estate or financial sectors.
• Experience working with, collaborating with, and educating influencers.
• Knowledge of state brokerage laws, RESPA, information security.