SDG&E seeks an outstanding and highly experienced attorney to join the Commercial Law Department in the General Counsel’s Office at SDG&E’s headquarters in San Diego. This attorney will provide legal services to support a wide range of commercial and corporate activities of the company. This includes drafting and negotiation of contracts for large construction projects, procurement of major equipment, energy transactions (renewables, energy storage, electric vehicle infrastructure, emerging energy technologies), and legal counseling on a wide range of legal topics to all SDG&E business units. This attorney will also manage outside counsel as needed. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
– Provide comprehensive legal counseling to SDG&E businesspersons at all levels of the company, including contract agents, managers, directors, and executives.
– Draft and negotiate complex contracts in a wide variety of contexts.
– Interact regularly and effectively with businesspersons at all levels of the company to understand the client’s goals and help them to achieve those goals in a compliant and lawful manner.
– Collaborate with company lawyers in the Commercial Law Department and in other practice areas (Regulatory, Litigation, Environmental/Real Estate) to solve complex legal problems.
– Manage outside counsel as needed.
– Ensure that Law Department management and business unit leadership stay informed regarding matters assigned.
– Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
– Independently lead complex legal matters.
– Ingenuity and analytical ability.
– Maturity of judgment.
– Clear, concise communicator, both orally and in writing.
– Tact and diplomacy.
Licenses and Certifications
– Admission to the California Bar, and a member in good standing, or eligible to practice as California Registered in-house counsel under California Rules of Court 9.46. Required
– Bachelor’s Degree Required
– JD (Juris Doctor) from a nationally recognized accredited law school.
– Requires 8 or more years of relevant experience, including “first chair” of complex transactional matters.
– Requires experience at a well-established top tier law firm and/or in-house counsel in a corporate law department.
– Experience in and understanding of the energy and regulated utility industry is desirable.