Cielo is the world’s leading Talent Acquisition Partner. We deliver a better talent experience for everyone through Recruitment Process Outsourcing, Executive Search, Contingent Workforce Solutions and Consulting services. With our fresh approach – we design and build comprehensive, proven solutions inspired by technology to find and keep the unique talent that elevates our clients above the competition.
Lineage is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to join our Legal Department in supporting a company in high growth mode. The Senior Legal Counsel will provide legal support to Lineage’s logistics and technology teams with a primary focus on Lineage’s industry-leading end-to-end logistical solutions, including its transportation, freight forwarding, customs brokerage, rail car leasing, foodservice solutions, manufacturing and direct to consumer businesses and the development and deployment of related innovative technology.
The Senior Legal Counsel will be a sophisticated, business-oriented attorney who can work effectively across all levels of the organization. He or she will collaborate with other legal groups and cross-functional business teams (including Compliance, Logistics, HR, Finance, Data Science; and Information, Systems & Technology) to strategize on, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of agreements relating to logistics, software licensing, solar and SaaS-related agreements. Some knowledge of intellectual property, including patent and trademark prosecution would be helpful. In this role, the Senior Counsel will handle a high-volume of projects, meet short deadlines, and enjoy working in a dynamic environment. In addition, the Senior Legal Counsel may be exposed to other areas of law and will work directly with Lineage business leaders and Lineage’s private equity sponsor, Bay Grove Capital, on a variety of projects. The job title will be Senior Corporate Counsel – Logistics & Technology.
This role can be based in Novi, MI or Irvine, CA and will offer a high degree of flexible working opportunities, including remote working. Some travel will be expected.
- Provide strategic leadership and legal advice for Lineage’s logistics and technology teams, working closely with the General Counsel – Logistics & Technology, the rest of the Legal Team, the Logistics and
- Technology Leadership Teams as well as regional, national and facility leadership to develop processes, forms and procedures to support all related business lines.
- Provide cross-functional leadership on various strategic and departmental projects.
- Provide day-to-day legal support on all issues related to the Logistics and Technology businesses and solutions, including customer, vendor and other commercial contracts and claims, disputes, and regulatory compliance, while remaining adaptive to changing priorities within a fast-paced environment.
- Provide first-chair in-house legal support to the Logistics and Technology Management Team and Bay Grove with respect to M&A, including documenting, negotiating, managing, and closing such transactions.
- Provide legal advice in response to requests from various business lines.
- Provide effective strategic leadership for specific projects, including coordinating and directing third party advisors and colleagues from other Lineage functional groups.
- Work collaboratively, proactively, and responsively with a broad range of colleagues locally and internationally on a variety of legal and strategic projects, ensuring good relationships between Legal, HR,
- Finance, IT, Business Development, Operations, and other departments of Lineage and its affiliates to facilitate a coordinated team approach.
- Manage outside counsel for corporate, finance, litigation, employment, real estate and other matters.
- Must have 8 – 12 years of relevant experience gained at a top tier law firm and/or as in-house lawyer. A mix of in-house and law firm experience is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of corporate and contract law.
- Experience and proven skills in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, purchase agreements, merger and acquisition documents, related documentation, and corporate documents.
- Strong business instincts and acumen.
- International transactional experience.
- Must be willing to work in a fast-paced, growing company and adjust quickly to change.
- Must be able to manage multiple competing requests and ensure that projects are completed on a timely basis.
- Excellent interpersonal, client management and relationship and project management skills.
- Must work well independently and within a team, including the ability to work closely with all levels of management and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to deal successfully with complex issues and a broad array of stakeholders.
- Ability to translate legal complexities into terms readily understood by management and line personnel.
- Desire to learn new areas of law and assist the legal team and the business as needed on a wide variety of projects.
- Excellent analytical, research and reasoning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel on a regular basis.
- English-speaking (fluent), additional relevant language skills would be a plus.
- Must possess the highest professional ethics, good judgment and initiative.
- Creative problem-solver who can take a leadership role in transactions and resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and practical ways
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Experience with intellectual property and IP licensing is a plus
Lineage is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics.