Southern California Edison Company
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don’t just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Senior Attorney at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. As the Senior Attorney in the Base Rates and Grid Support section of the Law Department, you will handle a wide range of regulatory proceedings for the company in a lead counsel capacity and will report to a Director/Managing Attorney. You will be part of a small team of attorneys, but must be able to work independently as well. You will direct and manage outside counsel retained to support the company’s legal needs. You will be responsible for advising and representing the Company on complex regulatory, litigation, contractual, compliance and enforcement matters, including those arising under federal, California, and/or other state laws and regulations. You will also provide legal support to SCE Organizational Units and to Company Senior Management, while collaborating with other Company personnel on decisions that impact utility operations.
As a Senior Attorney, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
Duties and Responsibilities:
A day in the life – Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
• Advising internal client organizations regarding compliance with applicable federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and policies.
• Representing the Company before regulatory and enforcement agencies, including the California Public Utilities Commission on matters related to recovery of costs, rate design, and wildfire mitigation planning, and grid safety and support. Drafting and preparing regulatory filings, testimonies and reports and advocating company positions at hearings.
• Working with SCE personnel in other departments and external third parties to gather information pertaining to highly complex legal, technical, and/or sensitive issues.
• Contributing to cross-functional or departmental projects and teams.
• Direct and manage outside counsel retained to support the company’s legal needs.
Qualifications and Prior Experience:
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from a nationally recognized law school.
• Current member in good standing of the State Bar of CA.
• Nine years’ experience practicing regulatory or general business litigation. Your combined experience can be at a law firm, corporate in-house setting, or government authority.
• Top academic credentials desired.
• Experience in the utility or energy industry is preferred, but not required.
• Experience interacting with federal, state, or local agencies.
• Ability to independently handle proceedings as lead attorney in matters before regulatory agencies, such as the California Public Utilities Commission or the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or first chair-level court experience.
• Strategic problem solver with strong analytical ability to provide legal advice within a business context.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Experience drafting and negotiating contracts.
• Ability to simultaneously manage a variety of assignments, work quickly and effectively under pressure, and prioritize activities and risk.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team including ability to promote positive collaboration within the legal team, with other Company personnel, and with outside counsel.
You should know
• Visit our Candidate Resource page to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and hiring process, and more!
• Relocation may be available for this position.
• Due to COVID-19, SCE’s Law Department is working remotely through 12/31/2020. Attorneys may return to work at SCE’s General Office in Rosemead, CA after that date, if conditions allow.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.