This role offers the opportunity to work from a remote location on days when in-person attendance is not required, and as agreed upon by the direct supervisor. It is an essential function of any remote role that the employee be available to attend in-person meetings, professional development sessions or to come to the office for other reasons, if the need arises. This position requires the individual reside in California, and will have a designation to one of Hanson Bridgett’s five office locations. Title and salary depends on experience. Candidates with less experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered for a Specialist or Coordinator role.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
· Working with the DPD, Section/Practice Group leadership, the other Professional Development Manager and team members, assume a lead role in the development and implementation of Firm, section and individual attorney training and development opportunities, including (a) assisting in assessment of substantive and skills learning needs; and (b) curating and coordinating in-house training programs, including the preparation of program and promotional materials, calendaring the events, and managing all aspects of the event.
· Build and maintain strong professional relationships with attorneys, developing an in-depth understanding of professional aspirations, experiences, strengths, development needs and relevant personal circumstances; exercise discretion in all dealings.
· Oversee the tracking of lawyers’ California Continuing Legal Education (CLE) compliance, including (a) entry of third party certificates, client support, entry of teaching credits; (b) monitor attorney and paralegal CLE status and communicate same; (c) work with the DPD and General Counsel to ensure 100% compliance for California-admitted lawyers Firm-wide; and (d) attend and assist with compliance and CLE requirements for training programs, including gaining a working understanding of California CLE rules, monitoring attendance sheets, preparing and distributing required materials, and coordinating logistics, such as setting up conference rooms, sending out calendar invitations, etc.
· Collaborate closely with the DPD and PD Team on staffing and overflow issues for associates, counsel, staff attorneys and others to (a) ensure attorneys are fully utilized and working efficiently to maximize client service; (b) identify appropriate workloads that incorporate attorney preferences where possible; (c) ensure consistency of experiences and equitable distribution of assignments; and (d) ensure accurate headcount planning and resourcing.
· Lead annual Career Development Plan program, to promote growth, development and retention of associates, senior counsel and counsel.
· Assist in the development and implementation of Firm and diversity mentoring initiatives.
· Working with the DPD and PD Team, develop, plan and execute internal and external events and programs, including Senior Counsel Summit, First Year Academy and MCLE Marathon.
· Facilitate onboarding, orientation and integration of attorneys and paralegals.
· Develop and maintain Professional Development Department and other internal web pages, newsletter, calendar and related materials.
· Organize All-Attorney Lunch program and All-Associate Meetings.
· Compile and analyze data to inform needs and professional development initiatives.
· Support the DPD’s work on the Diversity and Inclusion Network, RACE Task Force and Women’s Impact Network, including (a) evaluating and processing sponsorships and other budget items; (b) responding to surveys; (c) memorializing activities and honors; and (d) planning internal and external events.
· Coordinate communications to attorney populations.
· Oversee development and maintenance of spreadsheets, databases, files and systems to achieve efficiencies.
· Research and interface with consultants and vendors.
· Coordinate calendar and schedule meetings.
· Process expense reports, reimbursements, vendor payments, and other budgeting needs.
· Special Projects and Miscellaneous: Assist with special projects, from time to time.
Required Skills, Abilities and Qualifications
· J.D. and law firm professional development experience (with litigation focus) strongly preferred; without J.D., at least 3 years of professional development experience and Bachelor degree required
· Extraordinary interpersonal skills; confidence in dealing with and proven ability to gain the confidence/trust of others.
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbally and in writing, with lawyers, administrators, and staff.
· Possesses strong planning and organizational skills including excellent attention to detail.
· Strong client service orientation; ability to promote and represent the Firm’s core values in teamwork, work product and personal interaction. Provides exemplary client service to all internal and external clients.
· Demonstrates the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the Firm’s internal and personnel affairs and information at all times.
· Works well under pressure and is able to manage multiple projects in fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
· Flexibility and willingness to provide general support and perform other duties as assigned.
· Strong work ethic, high professional standards, personal motivation.
· Team player—willing to help on group projects.
· Flexibility to work overtime when necessary in order to complete the essential functions of the job.
· Exercise independent judgment and initiative.
· Polished, professional demeanor.
· High level of proficiency in required Firm applications (Word, Excel, iManage, viDesktop, Outlook, PowerPoint, SmartSheet); ability to quickly learn new applications and platforms.
Salary and How to Apply
Hanson Bridgett offers a competitive salary and benefits. Salary depends on experience. If our values and vision match yours, we encourage you to email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]