UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university.
The Legal Support Specialist (LSS) provides direct administrative assistance support to the Senior Campus Counsel and Associate Campus Counsel, with support to the Chief Campus Counsel as needed. The LSS provides administrative support for the Paralegal, which involves complex, detailed and confidential, privileged matters. In support of Office of Campus Counsel staff, the LSS will receive general instructions from their supervisor and attorneys or paralegals, exercises judgment and applies skills to fully analyze issues and problems, gather data and information, find and evaluate alternatives and make sound recommendations. Drafts and edits, correspondence, reports and presentations, forms and other legal documents, pleadings, legal responses, notices, affidavits, correspondence, claims and complaints, and reports and presentations using thorough knowledge of legal terminology, practices, forms and the legal system, and provides expert-level document production services. Uses skills to resolve a diverse range of legal related assignments. Serves as a knowledge manager for data, correspondence, matter files, reports, and other documentation associated with legal matters handled by attorneys and paralegals. Works on moderate legal projects of diverse scope. Manage calendar for two attorneys, provide additional adminstrative support, including travel, expense reimbursement and other suport functions as they arise. A successful candidate will carry out these functions with appreciation for the mission and responsibility of a university serving a diverse region and state and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Salary Range is: $50,600 – 68,900. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Staff Career Appointment.
Job End Date: 4 years from the date of hire, with the possibility of extension.
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: None
Employee Relations Code: All Others, Not Confidential
Job Code Classification: 007382 LEGAL SUPP SPEC 3
30% Maintains the confidential calendars for the Senior and Associate Campus Counsel and the Chief Campus Counsel as needed; independently and proactively determines the importance and priority of scheduled events, requested meetings and coordinates the calendar accordingly. Briefs attorneys on deadlines and the status of pending issues. The LSS must proactively anticipate the needs of Campus Counsel staff and provide support accordingly.20% Maintains processes for tracking progress of complex legal and / or transactional matters.
10% Conducts legal research of moderate scope, to include fact gathering and retrieval of information. Assembles analytical and factual data on assigned problems and legal issues. Compiles data, statistics and other information for meetings and presentations.
10% Actively participates in implementation of new office-wide technology to support needs of the practice group or department; serves in test groups to pilot new systems.
10% Contacts internal staff at all organizational levels to gather information.
10% Drafts, edits, and modifies legal documents including correspondence, reports, and presentations and proposals for review by attorneys and paralegals.
5% Creates web pages, develops web sites, and troubleshoots associated issues meeting department goals of timely, accurate information and effective outreach.
5% Arranges travel and conference registration and handles all travel reimbursements for Senior and Associate Campus Counsel and the Chief Campus Counsel as needed.
• Associates degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Political acumen and sensitivities to the diverse perspectives and political circumstances within all levels of the organization as well as the Office of the President and external constituencies.
• Ability to use high-level discretion and maintain a high level of confidentiality and privilege.
• Advanced knowledge of common computer applications.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff; both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated knowledge of filing and record tracking systems, both paper and electronic, such as CounselLink, NetDocs and/or eCounsel.
• Strong skills to research and problem-solve to obtain information or data from various sources and materials and organize with excellent attention to detail into a comprehensive package, such as LexisNexis and WestLaw. Knowledge of legal terminology.
• Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
• Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to work independently while also working as part of a team.
• Ability to understand and modify HTML code within the campus Web Content Management System (WCMS) or willingness to learn.Preferred Qualifications
• Knowledge of UC processes, protocols and procedures.
• Experience at the professional level in a research-oriented higher education setting, law firm, in-house counsel, public agency or other similar entity.
Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to ‘My Activities’. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application here
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.