The Legal Counsel must be able to think proactively and creatively, provide strategic and legal advice and consultation, work cross-departmentally, support and manage strategic initiatives, including in connection with staff and partner education, and be committed to supporting Tides’ charitable mission. The Legal Counsel is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose – while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States. We will be reopening our offices in the future, date to be determined.
This role will drive impact and foster a culture that is grounded in Justice, Equity, Inclusion & Diversity (JEDI) and Tides core values – Respect, Accountability, Creativity, Equity and Empowerment.
– Provide legal support for Tides Foundation grant-making Funds, including Donor Advised Funds and other types of sponsored Funds. Ensure activities of sponsored funds are consistent with Tides’ exempt purposes and that Tides exercises appropriate control and discretion over assets.
– Respond to inquiries from Tides staff and partners concerning legal, risk and compliance issues. In partnership with other LRC staff, track risk and compliance inquiries/issues, recommend solutions, and escalate issues as appropriate.
– Advise on consulting relationships in which Tides provides services to nonprofit or for-profit partners.
– Work with outside counsel to advise staff, clients and partners on legal requirements and legal risk.
– Stay up to date regarding latest legal trends impacting Tides’ business and operations, and provide strategic advice to protect Tides’ charitable mission, partners and staff.
– Research and analyze specific legal questions and prepare memoranda as requested by LRC Director or Chief Legal Officer.
Investment Support and Contracting:
– Conduct legal due diligence and ensure compliance with policies and procedures related to mission-related investments; coordinate with Tides Investment Manager regarding the same.
– Support review, negotiation and drafting of contracts as required.
– Review and revise, as needed, Tides legal documents, template agreements, legal policies and procedures; communications with governmental authorities; and operational and governance policies.
Risk Management and Compliance:
– Assist in developing accessible tools to support Tides’ compliance program, including internal and external policies and procedures, oversight programs and entity-wide risk management.
– Issue spot, investigate and evaluate the legal implications of compliance issues and recommend operational changes or alternative policies and procedures.
Strategic Initiatives :
– Support vetting of new partnership opportunities. Identify, investigate, and help resolve legal issues raised by new partnership opportunities and Tides initiatives.
– Assist in structuring partnerships with nonprofits, for-profits and other entities to ensure legally compliant frameworks mitigating risk for all and achieving desired outcomes.
– Assist LRC Team in developing effective legal, risk and compliance education and training tools for staff.
– In partnership with department staff, train staff on legal topics relevant to the organization, including internal policies and procedures and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Assist in updating, creating and leading new training sessions and offer solutions to help staff achieve desired outcomes.
– Continue individual continuing education to ensure that Tides remains compliant with respect to changing areas of the law.
– Supervise one or more interns (as applicable).
– Support legal team education / management of resources.
– Other duties as assigned by LRC Director or Chief Legal Officer.
– Adapts easily to working with a variety of stakeholders and to the varying needs of the organization, while maintaining a strong voice for legal compliance.
– Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties.
– Exercises excellent judgment in handling confidential information and other potentially-sensitive matters.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to understand and communicate accurately and effectively with different stakeholders in different fields of expertise.
– Commitment to Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach.
– Maintains high-level and consistent work ethic.
– Proficiency with MS Office suite of products.
– Minimum 4 years’ experience in nonprofit tax law required.
– Experience in corporate law, contracts and transactional law, securities / mission-related investing preferred. Substantially equivalent relevant work experience may be considered.