The successful candidate will:
– Collaborate with the internal product development, product management, and product marketing teams to identify and prioritize patentable inventions;
– Supervise outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of high-quality patent assets, providing technical, legal, and strategic input to ensure overall work quality;
– Assist in implementing processes to scale the IP program
– Develop and advance the company’s IP strategy
While the focus of this role is on patent-portfolio development, you will also counsel on other aspects of IP (including trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets), acquisition due diligence, evaluation of third party patent assertions, patent enforcement, patent litigation, and patent licensing and acquisition.
This position will report to the VP Innovation, Legal. This position will be based either in San Francisco or San Jose.
– At least 6 years of patent prosecution experience, including preparing, drafting, and prosecuting software patents
– J.D. degree
– Admission to a State Bar
– Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
– Specific experience with data platforms, cybersecurity, IT infrastructure monitoring, DevOps, AI/ML, GUIs, and cloud architectures is preferred
– Strong verbal and written communication skills
– Team focused and collaborative
– Attorneys looking to transition from a law firm position to an in-house role are highly encouraged
– Patent litigation experience is a plus but not required
– A sense of humor is requiredWe value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.