Snap Inc. is a camera company. We believe that reinventing the camera represents our greatest opportunity to improve the way people live and communicate. Our products empower people to express themselves, live in the moment, learn about the world, and have fun together.
We’re looking for an experienced lawyer to lead our Commercial Legal team.
The Commercial Legal team is Snap’s lawyer for nearly all its third-party transactions, relationships, and terms, working directly with pretty much every team across Snap. The team is at the center of Snap’s relationships with its external partners and other third parties. It strategizes with stakeholders across the company on relationship development and building new integrations and partnerships to scale; reviews and advises on external communications from the Marketing and other teams; obtains and manages Snap’s rights clearances; and helps craft and apply Snap’s ad, content, and other policies.
Snap is growing quickly around the world, and its Commercial team is growing with it.
What you’ll do:
- Report directly to Snap’s General Counsel, its principal legal officer, and work directly with Snap leaders.
- Manage our Legal Department’s largest team.
- Ensure our commercial arrangements facilitate the scaling of Snap’s rapidly growing business efficiently and effectively. Work closely with our Legal Operations team to keep Snap at the cutting edge of highly-scaled commercial solutions.
- Work cross-functionally throughout Snap to ensure we are always improving our deal-making and being appropriately responsive to market demands while protecting Snap’s interests.
- Drive our culture of building “fair to all sides” commercial arrangements throughout the team and Snap in order to support the growth of Snap’s various platform businesses and partnerships.
- Constantly reassess our risk tolerances by working closely with the business to dynamically balance risk against reward in our various commercial arrangements.
- Contribute to the Legal Department’s leadership culture by modeling our core values of kind, smart and creative, and help our teams, and our clients, to always do the right thing the right way.
- Provide tactical and strategic advice to Snap business and product leaders, both in commercial transactions and structuring of new commercial arrangements, and in broader business issues.
- Advise business clients on company policies, business strategy, and legal issues and risks.
- Manage the team’s relationships with outside counsel and other advisors.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Practical legal and business judgment, the ability to think critically, a willingness to give and receive constructive feedback, and the ability to manage multiple matters across a large team.
- Excellent analytical, communication, organizational, negotiation, and drafting skills.
- An eagerness for a diversity of views and a willingness to work within the hierarchy of ideas, where the best idea wins.
- Value common sense over precedent, and always looking for new ways to improve how we do things.
- A commitment to building a leadership culture where every team member is expected to lead, or grow into a leader, driving strategic change throughout Snap.
- A determination to add value in every interaction and help others improve. Plus an eagerness to step back and let others shine.
- A selfless humble personality that operates by influence, recognizing that credit is better given than taken, and there is always more for you to learn.
- A client service mentality that always serves the needs of our clients, treats them as valued partners, listens carefully to their needs, and responds by sensibly and creatively balancing business needs with legal risks.
- A willingness to embrace Snap’s extremely fast-paced environment as we continuously evolve into new areas, businesses, and ways of doing things.
- J.D. degree.
- Membership in good-standing in a United States state bar, or otherwise qualified to be a registered in-house counsel under California’s multi-jurisdictional practice program.
- Minimum of 10 years handling commercial transactions.
- Experience managing commercial legal teams.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience growing and scaling an in-house commercial legal team internationally.
- Experience handling transactions involving digital advertising and/or online platform businesses.