StubHub, www.stubhub.com (an eBay company NASDAQ: EBAY)
StubHub’s purpose is to connect people to inspiring event experiences. We connect fans with their favorite teams, shows and artists and introduce them to the ones they’ll love next. As the largest ticket marketplace in the world, we enable fans to buy and sell tickets to tens of thousands of events, whenever they want, through our desktop and mobile experiences, including our StubHub app for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Android. Offering a superior fan experience at its core, StubHub reinvented the ticket resale market in 2000 and continues to lead it through innovation. Our industry firsts include the introduction of the first ticketing application, the first interactive seat mapping tool and the first live entertainment rewards program, Fan Rewards™. Our business partners include more than 130 properties in MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and NCAA, plus AEG, AXS and Spectra Ticketing & Fan Engagement. With the acquisition of Ticketbis in August 2016, throughout the world, StubHub provides the total end-to-end event going experience. StubHub is an eBay company (NASDAQ: EBAY). For more information on StubHub, visit StubHub.com or follow @StubHub on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram or YouTube.com/StubHub.
FanFirst, StubHub One – We act as one team in pursuit of connecting people through inspiring event experiences.
At StubHub, we are:
Driven – We strive for excellence – constantly improving our game
Courageous – We are bold & not afraid to challenge the status quo
Inventive – We see what others don’t & pioneer new paths
Richly Diverse – We recognize & respect everyone as a unique individual
Brand – We experience the world through StubHub
StubHub, an eBay company, seeks to hire an General Counsel to provide strategic and first class legal support to StubHub and its related businesses globally. The position reports to the Senior Vice President, Legal General Counsel, eBay Marketplaces with matrixed reporting to the President of StubHub. He or she will be a key member of the Marketplaces and Litigation Legal Leadership Team and the StubHub Management Team. The position will manage a group of currently six individuals. The position will ensure that the lawyers and other staff reporting up through him or her function as true partners to the business.
The General Counsel is based in San Francisco, CA and reports to the SVP, Legal at eBay.
- Leading and managing a team of legal professionals located in San Francisco, Luxembourg and Berlin.
- Advising the StubHub senior business executives on legal strategy and risk issues associated with the company’s business operations, major deals, regulatory compliance, anti-trust, commercial transactions and product reviews.
- Driving operational excellence and best practice sharing in the commercial and compliance areas as well as the development and adoption of new IT systems to improve operations in these areas.
- Establishing and maintaining effective communication and collaboration between different parts of the legal department.
- Participating as a member of the core StubHub business leadership team.
- Working effectively across business units, legal departments and corporate functions to resolve complex business and risk management issues.
- Establish and manage the legal budget for StubHub’s business.
- Acting as mentor and advisor to team members and beyond in order to establish effective professional development guidance and options.
Critical Competencies for Success:
- An experienced leader with a strong business background that has built, retained and developed a strong, effective and well recognized legal team;
- Demonstrated experience working with government relations professionals and negotiating with state and federal regulators;
- Experience aligning a legal team with the company’s business objectives;
- Proven commitment to the creation of a positive working environment and rolling-up-of-sleeves;
- Proven team-orientation and ability to lead through team-building and example;
- Demonstrated presence with past experience in having a seat at the leadership table;
- Ability to work collaboratively with attorneys at all levels both externally and internally;
- Demonstrated willingness to make hard decisions on both legal advice and personnel issues but do them decisively;
- An individual flexible, adaptable, centered, secure and open in her/his relations with superiors, peers and subordinates, and enjoys learning from others.
- An experienced lawyer with strong legal training and the ability to manage and handle a broad range of legal matters to include anit-trust, government relations, regulatory matters in an ecommerce, international setting
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced work environment, exhibiting flexibility and creativity in dealing with novel legal issues and complex transactions, to include major deals;
- Ability to provide legal support effectively while exhibiting a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate the needs of business clients;
- Proven ability to support a fast-paced business;
- Demonstrated ability to understand and balance business exigencies with the provision of legal services; and have a healthy risk tolerance, moving quick to action;
- Track record of proactively and building and maintaining productive relationships with business and corporate functional leaders.
Other Personal Characteristics:
- An individual of unquestioned ethics and integrity;
- Strong business acumen and ability to roll-up-sleeves and get things done;
- A well-grounded individual who can work well in a team environment;
- Mature individual with good judgment;
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills;
- Strong analytical skills; and
- Outstanding written and oral skills.
The successful candidate should hold a law degree from an accredited law school and be a member of a US state Bar or be prepared to sit for and pass a US state Bar exam. Membership with the State Bar of California will be required, either via admission to the Bar or via registration with the Bar as “Registered In-House Counsel.”
- A minimum of 12 years as a practicing lawyer including litigation experience;
- Experience in a multi-national company legal department leadership role, preferably in the technology industry, ecommerce or other dynamic and fast changing industries;
- Experience with a well-regarded law firms;
- Substantive domestic and international expertise in commercial and technology transactions. Specific experience in online commercial transactions would be highly beneficial;
- Experience in designing legal department organizational structures and processes as well as establishing a performance culture and driving engagement up;
- Established history of effectively managing teams of lawyers with a track record of developing legal talent. She or he should be somebody who is actively sought out by staff and peers as a coach and advisor on career development matters;
- Strong orientation toward problem solving and decision-making in an open, collaborative, and non-political environment.
- He or she will have a strong orientation toward making decisions that will benefit the legal organization and the business as a whole, rather than optimizing resources or benefits solely for his or her own team.