Prosper Portland, the City of Portland’s economic and urban development agency, is seeking a General Counsel. As the chief legal officer, the position provides expert legal and strategic advice to Prosper Portland’s Board of Commissioners, Executive Director, executive team, and staff regarding Prosper Portland’s urban renewal, redevelopment and economic development work and to enhance Prosper Portland’s ability to be an agent of positive change as an equitable, innovative, and financially sustainable agency.
The position leads attorneys and professional staff within the Legal Department, which is responsible for providing legal advice and representation on a wide variety of legal matters, including complex real estate development and commercial finance projects, Urban Renewal statutes, intergovernmental agreements, employment and collective bargaining laws, litigation, and public procurement. As a member of the Prosper Portland Executive Team, the position demonstrates high-level leadership and works with partners across the city and represents the organization in several external functions to support widely shared prosperity.
• Provides legal support regarding a wide range of real estate development transactions (acquisitions and dispositions, long term leases, property redevelopment, construction contracts and development agreements), and commercial finance transactions (secured loans, grants, and tax credit financing).
• Provides advice to senior management on the legal risks to be assumed by Prosper Portland in connection with proposed decisions or actions. Serves as a member of Prosper Portland’s Finance and Investment Committee, which reviews proposed real estate and financial commitments for risk and financial soundness.
• Leads, manages, empowers, and mentors the Legal Department; supports staff development.
• Provides legal advice relating to the formation, amendment, and dissolution of urban renewal areas and urban renewal plans.
• Advises Prosper Portland commissioners and staff regarding a variety of public agency, state and federal constitutional and municipal law matters, including public contracting laws, public records law, public meetings law, government ethics, laws governing urban renewal agencies and tax increment financing (ORS 457 and Portland City Charter Chapter 15), and state/federal constitutional limits on public agency actions and authority.
• Provides legal services and advice for all other legal matters affecting the agency, including legal matters related to employment, public/government law, business formation and finance, environmental law, etc.
• Develops, implements, and monitors work plans with legal staff; plans, organizes, oversees, assigns and evaluates the work to achieve Prosper Portland and the department’s mission, goals, and performance measures.
• Assists the Board and Executive Director in policy development and program implementation.
• Leads the Legal Department in coordinating the legal work of the Agency. Coordinates a large volume of widely varied projects with a high level of technical complexity; hires and manages outside counsel.
• Responsible for ensuring Prosper Portland employees comply with all ethics and conflict of interest laws and policies.