Petco Animal Supplies, Inc.
Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores, our network of Distribution Centers, and our veterinary hospitals to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
Provide legal advice and counsel on a wide range of employment-related legal matters nationwide on a daily basis which include, but are not limited to, employee relations, terminations, discipline, wage and hour compliance and disputes, investigations, leaves of absence, compensation and employee benefits, employment-related agreements/documents, non-compete/unfair competition, hiring processes/best practices, union avoidance, employee misclassification issues, harassment/discrimination issues, and disability/reasonable accommodation issues. Manage outside counsel and oversee employment-related litigation. Coordinate with Employee Relations/HR team and others within the company to successfully manage/oversee administrative agency matters. Monitor legislative developments to ensure continued compliance with national, state, and local employment labor laws and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide ongoing effective and accurate legal advice and counsel to management and Human Resources professionals on a range of employment-related matters, including but not limited to, employee relations, terminations, discipline, wage and hour compliance and disputes, investigations, leaves of absence, compensation and employee benefits, employment-related agreements/documents, non-compete/unfair competition, hiring processes/best practices, union avoidance, employee misclassification issues, harassment/discrimination issues, and disability/reasonable accommodation issues.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders to provide strategic advice and counseling in all aspects of employment law.
- Create action plans and project manage with cross functional teams as needed
- In support of and conjunction with the VP, Legal – Employment, Litigation & Regulatory to manage and oversee outside counsel handling employment litigation matters.
- Support legal hold/preservation processes regarding employment-related legal matters, including drafting of legal hold notices and related communications.
- Draft and review/revise employment-related policies and agreements.
- Prepare and/or review/revise company submissions to the EEOC and other state and/or local agencies.
- Represent company in employment matters in front of various federal, state and/or local agencies, as well as in response to attorney demand letters.
- Advise regarding responses to employment-related subpoenas/requests for documents or information.
- Research and analyze various legal issues and render opinions as requested by the VP, Legal – Employment, Litigation & Regulatory and/or General Counsel. Manage outside counsel conducting legal research, as is required or appropriate.
- Monitor federal and state legislative developments and anticipate and guard against legal risks involving the company (and provide cost benefit analysis when identifying risks).
- Demonstrate ability to effectively work with all levels in the company and prioritize conflicting demands.
- Perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required, assigned and directed
Skills and Competencies:
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Provide effective and accurate legal advice on employment-related legal matters (including but not limited to specific matters listed herein).
Perform job duties and responsibilities on full-time basis with regular and reliable attendance.
Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all Petco employees and professional contacts, with emphasis on company interests.
Independently and effectively prioritize and successfully accomplish multiple tasks within appropriate timeframes.
Utilize knowledge of the law and experience to analyze facts and situations to effectively assess risk and make recommendations that are in the best interest of the Company.
Effectively and timely respond to direction/instruction from the VP, Legal – Employment, Litigation & Regulatory or General Counsel.
Education and Experience:
Requires a bachelor’s degree and a Juris Doctor degree from a reputable and accredited law school. Must be a member in good standing of the State Bar of California. Must have a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of employment law issues, including (but not limited to) wage and hour disputes, wrongful termination, discrimination/harassment issues, terminations/reductions-in-force, employment policy matters, litigation/discovery processes and administrative agency matters. Requires 4 to 6 years of employment-specialty experience in a major law firm (additional in-house experience is a plus). Experience in representing a national retailer or retail organization is preferred. Incumbent must have solid experience in corporate counseling, representing corporations in EEOC/state agency administrative matters (including drafting position statements), discovery matters and conducting investigations. Requires strong analytical, verbal and written communication and organization skills. Must possess excellent judgment, effective business acumen, preferably from the retail industry, proven problem-solving ability, a strong work ethic, and be attentive to detail.