About the Opportunity:
The Director of Events and Operations manages the events and educational programs which provide value to CMCP members and drive the mission, and also manages the day-to-day operations of a small organization. The role of Director of Events and Operations requires a motivated and highly organized professional with excellent communication skills and the ability to work within a close-knit and high-functioning team.
• Primary responsibility for coordinating operations of office
• Supervise bookkeeper (external) in preparation of monthly and year-end financials and reports
• Coordinate with CPA on the preparation tax returns and filing of the returns
• Administer employee benefits (via Zenefits)
• Manage membership dues process including tracking invoices and payments, membership status and sponsorship commitments; provide reports for internal analysis.
• Primary contact for incoming questions and communications from members about membership and sponsorship.
• Manage interviewer – interviewee matching process for CMCP’s signature Corporate Connections business development program; be primary point of contact for questions and problem-solving prior to the Annual Business Conference; and take primary responsibility for running Corporate Connections program on-site at the Annual Business Conference.
• Contribute to development and production of events and programs to engage members and further CMCP’s mission.
• Work closely with Executive Director and other staff and event planners/vendors on above activities.
• Assist in office administration related or not directly related to operations and events, as needed and directed by Executive Director.
• Other duties as assigned.
We are seeking candidates who meet the following criteria:
• Significant (minimum 8 years) experience in office management
• Minimum 5 years professional experience managing small to large events, including scheduling, planning and coordinating logistics, supervising volunteers and/or event staff
• Experience and strength in project management
• Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, with the proven ability to communicate with diverse audiences in a variety of settings, and exceptional personal communication
• Meticulous attention to detail and strong time management skills
• Computer proficiency (MS Office, QuickBooks)
• Collegial, positive and collaborative work style
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and administrative support
• Experience working in or familiarity with law practice and operations in a law firm, corporate law department or public agency desirable
Compensation and Benefits:
CMCP offers competitive wages. Benefits are described below.
For full-time employees, benefits include the following:
• Attractive benefit plan for Health, Dental, Vision, RX
• 2 weeks paid time off (3 weeks after 1st year)
• End of year holiday week off (paid)
• 10 paid holidays (including day after Thanksgiving)
• Flexible Spending Account
This a full-time salaried position, with an expectation of hours sometimes extending beyond an 8 hour day/40 hour work week, particularly in the weeks preceding the Annual Business Conference in September/October, and at the commencement of membership renewal cycles in December/January and May/June.
About the Organization:
The California Minority Counsel Program (CMCP) is California’s leading nonprofit organization promoting diversity and inclusion in the legal profession. CMCP’s mission is to provide attorneys of color with access and opportunities for business and professional development. Its goal is to help change the face of the legal profession, particularly in business organizations and the law firms that represent them, both in California and nationwide.
CMCP, founded in 1989, is organized as a 501(c)(6) mutual benefit corporation. Its membership is comprised of corporate and public agency law departments, minority-owned law firms and majority-owned law firms (large and small, national and local). CMCP provides multiple ways for minority attorneys to make connections, showcase their skills, gain access to decision makers, expand their networks, and develop relationships that further their careers and lead to business opportunities and growth.
CMCP has a strong value proposition for its members including opportunities for corporations to diversify their outside counsel spend, and business and professional development opportunities for attorneys of color.
Interested candidates should apply via email by sending a cover letter, compensation requirements and resume as Word or PDF documents to email@example.com with “Director of Events & Operations Position” in the subject line.
Application deadline is June 28, 2019.
CMCP is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, national origin or ancestry, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital or registered domestic partnership status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic, military or veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state or local laws.