In this role you will be expected to exercise excellent business judgment to seek solutions while managing legal and financial risks, coordinating issue resolution and employing creative problem-solving.
* BE AN OWNER: Manage and mentor an existing team of commercial lawyers and contract professionals. Take ownership of the drafting, review, negotiation, and management of a wide range of legal agreements. Advise Twilio’s internal clients on contract interpretation and negotiation. Champion Twilio’s mission, ethics and integrity by ensuring Twilio’s compliance policies are in practice and protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable local laws and regulations, and are in line with Twilio’s values.
* WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Seek to understand the context of the positions of Twilio’s customers and the requests from Twilio’s internal clients. Strive to solve problems and address issues from their perspectives.
* WRITE IT DOWN: Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard commercial templates. Create processes and procedures to help support a rapidly-growing, global business.
* RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Partner with Sales leadership to ensure the commercial legal team is working on the right deals at the right time.
* EMPOWER OTHERS: Train and mentor the commercial legal team on negotiation strategy and substantive legal skills.
* J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer.
* 8+ years of legal experience, with at least 5+ years negotiating complex technology transactions (e.g., XAAS).
* 2+ years managing a small to mid-sized team of direct reports (at least a team of 2 reports).
* Ability to act as a “Player / Coach,” who is able to both negotiate complex transactions and manage/mentor a team of lawyers and contract professionals.
* Experience supporting a large sales organization selling to regulated industries and enterprise customer base (e.g., F500, G2000). Preferred experience supporting Healthcare and Financial Services accounts.
* Ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of commercial contracts, including Master Services Agreements, Professional Services Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, etc.
* Partner with other internal teams within Twilio (e.g., Deal Desk, Sales Operations) to drive overall legal strategy for Twilio’s public sector business, including the ability to provide specific guidance related to public sector compliance and contracting.
* Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach.
* Ability to triage and prioritize a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.