San Francisco City Attorney's Office
The San Francisco City Attorney’s Office is an innovative, nationally-recognized municipal law office working to protect and advance the rights and interests of San Francisco residents. With over 180 talented, dedicated, and diverse attorneys and strong, committed support staff, the Office provides the highest quality legal services to the City’s Mayor, Board of Supervisors, officials, and departments.
The City Attorney’s Office is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a positive, respectful, diverse, and inclusive work environment. The Office welcomes and encourages qualified applicants of all backgrounds.
The Trial Team is a collaborative, nimble, and dynamic group of attorneys, paralegals, legal assistants and legal secretaries. The Team primarily defends lawsuits filed against the City and County of San Francisco and its employees in state and federal court, handling all phases of litigation from discovery and motion practice through trial and appeal. The Team’s docket is extraordinarily broad, and ranges from personal injury accidents to taxation, land use to constitutional torts. The Trial Team represents employees from all City departments and touches every aspect of the City’s operations, from transit to sewer, law enforcement to public health. Trial Team deputies may also handle select affirmative matters, including restraining orders based on workplace harassment or the threat of gun violence. Trial Team members also work on cross-team assignments on an as-needed basis, including helping City departments assess litigation risks, respond to third-party discovery, and respond to crisis situations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Attorneys on the Trial Team are assigned defensive matters, primarily involving accidents or injuries involving City operations, but also including constitutional claims, tax matters, and contractual disputes. Most cases can be handled independently, but some require team members to work collaboratively with other lawyers and staff across the Office. DCAs handle all aspects of their cases, including case intake and assessment, litigation strategy, discovery and document review, motion practice, settlement evaluation and negotiation, trial and appeal.
• Ability to assume responsibility quickly, work both collaboratively and independently, and identify and assess substantive and procedural legal issues
• Work effectively and efficiently within multiple competing deadlines, adjust to workload changes and dive into new assignments quickly
• Excellent written and oral communication and advocacy skills
• Ability to manage, investigate, and litigate multiple defensive matters in both state and federal courts
• Work effectively with paralegals, legal assistants, investigators, and support staff
• Experience with e-discovery
• Exhibit an interest, comfort, and good working knowledge of sophisticated document review tools
• Ability to exercise excellent judgment, multi-task, and be curious
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
• Interest and ability to work successfully as part of a team
• Three or more years of civil litigation experience, including trial experience
How to Apply:
Other information: Attorneys are represented by the Municipal Attorneys Association. Information about compensation and benefits can be found here: 8177 Attorney – Classification & Compensation: http://citidex.sfgov.org/cgi-bin/dhr/findClass.cgi?class=8177&title=&salaryRange=&exempt=&fifthStepEntry=&unionOnly=
Application: If you are interested, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and specify that you are applying for the Trial Team position. Your cover letter should indicate, in detail, the breadth and depth of your litigation experience. Applicants who advance in the selection process must submit a writing sample and three references