City and County of San Francisco - City Attorney's Office
The Office’s Code Enforcement Team (aka Neighborhood & Resident Safety Team) seeks a highly qualified California-licensed attorney for a full-time position as a Deputy City Attorney.
About the Code Enforcement Team: The Team is a collaborative and dynamic group of attorneys, paraprofessionals and legal secretaries. The Team, in cooperation with other City agencies, investigates and civilly prosecutes property owners and businesses that are violating building, housing, planning, health or other city and state codes, or who are otherwise misusing their property to endanger public health and safety. Representative lawsuits have addressed unpermitted construction, substandard housing, blight, sex trafficking, illegal short-term rentals, and affordable housing fraud. Currently, the Team also supports enforcement of the City’s COVID-19 Health Orders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Attorneys on the Team address nuisance issues and other unlawful conduct in the City, working with Office investigators, the community, and other government agencies. Attorneys manage cases from pre-litigation investigation through civil case filing, settlement evaluation, discovery, trial, and appeal. Attorneys also advise City departments regarding administrative enforcement.
• Ability to assume responsibility quickly, take initiative, and work independently and efficiently
• Excellent oral and written communication and advocacy skills
• Ability to manage and appropriately balance an active caseload of litigation and investigation matters, meet deadlines, and adjust to occasional workload increases
• Excellent judgment and commitment to public service
• Strong interpersonal skills and a problem-solving attitude
• Five or more years of litigation experience, ideally including case development and trial
Other information: Attorneys are represented by the Municipal Attorneys Association. Information about job classification and salary can be found at https://sfdhr.org/classification-compensation-database. Search: 8177 Attorney
Application: If you are interested, please submit your resume and cover letter to Managing Attorney at [email protected], and specify that you are applying for the Code Enforcement Team position. Applicants who advance in the selection process must submit at least one writing sample (a filed brief or comparable pleading) and two or three references.