Chevron is one of the world’s leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
This position is in the Employment Law Group of the Corporation Law Department. The Employment Law Group provides enterprise-wide client-focused advice on all aspects of employment law.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Internal investigations involving employment and compliance issues (major component of this position)
- Timely and pragmatic legal advice on discipline, incident handling, and compliance (e.g., equal employment opportunity, wage and hour, leaves of absence, traditional labor, conflicts of interest, self-dealing)
- Employment law training, counsel on policy development
- Represent Company in federal and state administrative proceedings (e.g., Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Department of Labor (DOL))
- Response to employment claims and demands
- Conflict resolution, including mediation
- Partnership with cross-functional attorneys across the Chevron Law Function to deliver best in class counsel to the enterprise
- Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor in Law from an accredited U.S. law school
- Active membership in the State Bar of California/Texas or actively admitted in another U.S. jurisdiction
- 5+ years’ experience in employment investigations, employment litigation, and/or employment counseling
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills; strategic interviewer; thoughtful listener
- Work independently and with initiative; build collaborative relationships with clients and team-members
- Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze legal risk, while finding pragmatic, compliant solutions to client problems
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and deliver high quality counsel under tight deadlines
- Significant employment litigation and investigations experience; experience in ethics and compliance; experience supporting multi-state clients, including in California
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland