Gap was founded in 1969 with a simple idea — make it easier to find a pair of jeans that fit with a commitment to do more. In the 50+ years since, the company has grown into seven brands, and our initial commitment to do more has grown into a global ambition to champion equality, inclusivity and sustainability.
We take pride in creating products our customers love while doing right by our customers, community and planet.
This Counsel – Product, Customer & Digital Legal Team acts as a legal business partner to defend Gap Inc. and its brands in commercial, consumer class action, trademark, copyright, patent, advertising, and other disputes and litigation. The Counsel – Product, Customer & Digital Legal Team will also advise our supply chain, sustainability, operations, loyalty and payments, marketing, product safety, and design teams. This Counsel – Product, Customer & Digital Legal Team requires strong business and customer acumen, excellent communication and relationship building skills, and the ability to pivot on complex legal matters for the continued growth of our brands and digital business, as well as to mitigate legal and reputational risk and manage resulting disputes and litigation. You’ll be directly involved in counseling the business and helping to develop processes to mitigate risk and protect Gap Inc.’s interests.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage and drive effective resolution of commercial and IP-related claims and litigation.
• Help develop and drive implementation of measures to mitigate risk and further the long-term interests of Gap Inc.
• Manage complex legal matters and projects.
• Advise and train business partners on a range of matters that may arise in connection with our products, including those related to sourcing strategies and risks, IP, product safety, labeling and performance claims, regulatory compliance, contractual relationships, loyalty and payments, consumer privacy, and other topics.
• Proactively identify business issues, potential liability and reputational risks, and collaborate with business partners on creative and practical solutions.
• Direct the work of paralegals and supervise outside counsel.
• Juris Doctor or LLM from an accredited law school. Licensed to practice law in the U.S.
• Minimum 5 years relevant legal experience in commercial and/or IP (preferably trademark and copyright) litigation.
• In-house experience and/or retail, commercial or consumer products and privacy experience a plus.
• Able to cut through complexity to distill the most important issues.
• Able to work independently and cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment.
• Practical mindset with ability to balance legal risk with business impact.
• Action-oriented, able to prioritize and juggle multiple matters.
• People management experience a plus.