Applicants must be skilled at managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced and challenging, but highly rewarding, environment; have good judgment and strong analytical, client counseling, and negotiation skills; be self-motivated; and, most importantly, be an optimistic, curious, and collaborative team player.
This Role Includes:
– Responsibility for drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements that achieve business objectives and continue to support those business relationships once consummated.
– Providing sophisticated and creative counseling and advice to business and technology teams regarding product development, deployment, and associated commercial considerations.
– Working closely with business and technology teams to understand and achieve key business objectives and help them develop compelling product and service offerings.
– Support Visa’s regional and local legal and business teams globally, and assist these teams in resolving regional and local issues, including to achieve consistency on approaches and issues by Visa worldwide.
– Working closely with cross-functional teams to properly balance potential legal, regulatory, and brand risks against competing business objectives while providing legal advice and guidance regarding strategic initiatives and growth strategies.
– The role may be based in any of the following locations: Foster City, CA; San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; Denver, CO; Austin, TX; Lehi, UT; Bellevue, WA; Wilmington, DE; Atlanta, GA.
– Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements with external Visa clients and partners, including customer agreements and partnership agreements
– Counsel business and product teams in developing new products and programs
– Review presentations and other marketing materials
– Perform contract assessments against business use cases
– Collaborate across other functions at Visa and within Visa Legal
– Organize and revise team playbooks
– Improve internal processes
– Create and update contract templates
– 8 or more years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree and JD.
– 10 years of relevant legal experience drafting and negotiating commercial, SAAS and/or licensing agreement for technology platforms or service providers, including experience as lead associate
– Demonstrated experience working with sales teams and advising product teams; ability to drive execution in a team environment, integrating legal advice and business knowledge while providing balanced advice regarding risks and benefits
– Relevant experience in financial technology, payments and financial services, data protection, contract and/or commercial law preferred
– Provide sophisticated and creative counseling and advice to business and technology teams regarding product development, deployment, and associated commercial and contracting considerations
– Admitted to bar in good standing or eligible for Registered in-house counsel
– Prior in-house experience preferred but not required
– Strong work ethic and flexibility for a fast-paced environment
– Confident, proactive and can learn on the job
– Exceptional analytical ability and advocacy skills
– Excellent written, oral communication and negotiation skills
– Strong people skills with proven ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management and work on cross-functional teams on complex deals
– Practical and proactive problem-solver; calm under fire with a positive attitude and a sense of humor