The Law Department provides timely, efficient and business-focused legal services to the company. The Law Department’s substantive legal activities fall in three categories: Litigation, Regulatory, Transactions and Corporate Services. The Strategy & Policy team provides both regulatory and transactional support to clients across a broad spectrum of matters.
The Counsel Attorney will report to the Managing Counsel for Strategy & Policy and will be responsible for providing legal support as well as advice and counsel to Pacific Gas and Electric Company’s Energy Policy and Procurement and Corporate Strategy groups, including assisting in regulatory proceedings at the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), California Energy Commission (CEC), and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and transactions involving clean energy policies, renewable energy, energy storage, distributed generation, micro-grids, hydroelectric licensing and compliance, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, greenhouse gas emissions reduction policy and emerging energy products and related projects.
• Represent PG&E in regulatory proceedings before the CPUC and FERC, including hearings, workshops, written submissions, and filings. Research and draft pleadings for submission to regulatory bodies in respective proceedings. Develop and implement regulatory strategy as part of team that includes regulatory affairs and client representatives from policy and operations organizations.
• Provide advice and counsel to management and project teams on legal and regulatory issues and strategy. Consult with other attorneys in the Law Department regarding key business and legal issues.
• Support project teams to prepare and issue requests for offers for energy and related products in emerging and established California energy programs, including distributed energy and renewable/clean energy projects.
• Research, review, interpret, and draft project documents for transactions involving the sale or purchase of power, assets, and environmental attributes with project teams.
• Support contract management teams with identified legal issues in connection with operating projects and assist contract management and litigation team members with complex commercial disputes and other dispute resolution processes with general guidance.
• Under supervision, manage and coordinate outside counsel handling specific proceedings or issues.
• Bachelor’s degree
• J.D. from an accredited law school
• Licensed to practice law in California [or Registered In-House Counsel]
• 8 years of experience, which may include other industry experience relevant to the position
• Experience as Attorney, 2 years
• Experience advising clients in the energy industry, including regulatory and transactional.
• • Ability to represent PG&E in proceedings before regulatory bodies, including prior experience in Public
• • Utility Commission proceedings or administrative litigation and/or competence in drafting and negotiating commercial/clean energy transactional agreements.
• Capable of working independently and as a team member.
• Experience directly advising clients and ability to provide a high level of client service.
• Ability to set priorities and to respond to changing demands from multiple internal and external sources.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
• Strong academic record.