This attorney will be a member of the Commercial Banking Division of the Legal Department. This position will provide support to the Global Receivables and Trade Finance product, sales and operations teams. Global Receivables and Trade Finance offers global financial products and services, including commercial and standby letters of credit, to customers of Wells Fargo’s Commercial Banking, and Corporate and Investment Banking, divisions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This attorney will (a) advise international trade services operations on letter of credit related issues, (b) negotiate letter of credit reimbursement agreements and related collateral documentation, (c) coordinate legal research relating to cross border international business, (d) review resolutions and certificates of incumbency, (e) collaborate with legal and operational teams in various jurisdictions to manage risks, and (f) provide legal guidance with respect to international standard banking rules such as the ISP98, UCP600, UCC Article 5 and other applicable laws and regulations relating to trade finance products.
Skills and Competencies:
The successful candidate will be collegial, skilled and efficient in gathering information in a fast-paced business environment, understanding business needs and goals, detecting legal issues and obstacles, identifying legal solutions and alternatives, and succinctly and competently counseling and communicating with business leaders on legal risks, solutions, and alternatives.
Experience with letters of credit and other trade products is preferred, but the Legal Department is willing to train an attorney for this role. Experience in commercial lending (syndicated and bilateral), cross border commercial transactions (lending, export and import), or treasury operations will provide a solid foundation for success in this role.
• 5+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
• Active State Bar membership
• Ability to analyze legal and regulatory issues in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters
• Extensive experience conducting research and providing counsel and guidance regarding complex legal issues • Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work while handling multiple matters
• Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration
• Effective in building partnerships, functioning well with project teams, and working for the success of the team
Other Desired Qualifications:
• Trade finance/factoring/supply chain finance or asset-based lending experience
• Commercial lending experience (syndicated and bilateral)
• Experience working with international banking operations and/or international payments
• Relevant experience in global commercial transactions including cross border credit agreements and trade finance
• Strong judgment, communication and leadership skills in guiding and influencing management, including senior management
Ability to travel up to 5% of the time