With Autodesk software, you have the power to Make Anything. The future of making is here, bringing with it radical changes in the way things are designed, made, and used. It’s disrupting every industry: architecture, engineering, and construction; manufacturing; and media and entertainment. With the right knowledge and tools, this disruption is your opportunity. Our software is used by everyone – from design professionals, engineers and architects to digital artists, students and hobbyists. We constantly explore new ways to integrate all dimensions of diversity across our employees, customers, partners, and communities. Our ultimate goal is to expand opportunities for anyone to imagine, design, and make a better world.
In this role you will provide day-to-day legal support to key product groups at Autodesk. You will partner with the business and technology teams to ensure product readiness, create scalable compliance strategies, and meet customer needs. You must be a results-driven self-starter possessing exemplary leadership, collaboration, influencing skills and a sense of humor. You must have a proven track record of succeeding in dynamic environments with a practical, business-oriented approach to an evolving legal landscape.
- Serve as first point of contact on all legal issues for several product teams within the Autodesk Manufacturing, Cloud, and Production Product group.
- Partner with associated business functions on all aspects of the business, including marketing, corporate development, and business models.
- Participate as a proactive business partner to leaders within the organization and build a trusted advisor relationship; engage with product team members at all levels, including executives, product management, software engineers, and marketing
- Understand the strategic initiatives, product roadmap and release cycles of product features and functions
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of inbound contracts including software development agreements, software license agreements, open source software licenses, evaluation agreements, and other vendor agreements
- Support product readiness and release by identifying and driving resolution of issues related to intellectual property matters, privacy, data security, marketing, competition, and other legal and regulatory issues
- Collaborate with and support legal colleagues responsible for negotiating outbound agreements for products
- Partner with the company’s product and information security groups to understand and provide input on product and information security practices and systems, ensuring legal and regulatory requirements are met
- Assist in the review of marketing materials and public announcements
- Contribute to developing and implementing contract policy, process, and templates
- Advise on adherence to Autodesk corporate policies. Develop and present relevant training materials. Communicate new laws or policies as required
- Support M&A activities for specified product areas, including due diligence reviews, advising on transaction structure, execution, and integration matters, with a focus on intellectual property and go-to-market issues. Assist with drafting and negotiation of transaction documents as appropriate
- Exercise excellent legal judgment to enable the product group’s rapid business execution while mitigating risk
- JD degree from ABA accredited university and member in good standing of the California Bar
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience providing legal support to software and cloud service businesses at both a well-regarded law firm and corporate legal department; prior in-house experience with a software or cloud service (SAAS, PAAS and/or IAAS) company highly desirable
- Superior business acumen; ability to use business context to generate creative, pragmatic legal solutions to achieve business objectives while mitigating risks
- Technology savvy and ability to learn Autodesk’s products and services, technologies and business
- Expertise in intellectual property, technology transactions, data security, privacy, contract, and commercial law matters in the context of a software business; experience in marketing a plus
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills, with a focus on complex technology transactions agreements
- Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; capable of gaining the respect of and interacting comfortably with senior leaders
- Strong work ethic, self-starter, accountable, and ability to work well under pressure
- Responsive to internal colleagues and external customers
- Ability to handle ambiguity, juggle many matters at once and quickly shift from one situation or task to another
- Sense of humor
- Collaborative team player who thrives on finding solutions in a dynamic work environment
The Ideal Candidate:
You’re a strategic thinker with strong business acumen. Your farsightedness allows you to accurately predict and plan for the future legal and business environment, positioning the business to nimbly execute on strategic priorities in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
You have deep software expertise. You have substantial experience with software businesses and the proven ability to help the business navigate the myriad applicable laws and regulations in a practical, flexible, business-enabling way.
You have strong, practical legal and analytical skills. You’re a star at analyzing information and legal requirements to inform the best business decisions
You’re an effective communicator and an influential leader. You don’t get lost in the detail; you are able to tell the story behind complex laws and regulations with relevant and insightful conclusions in a clear, concise manner. You know your audience and tailor your message accordingly
You work well with others. You know the nuances of when to let others speak, and when and how to insert yourself in the conversation — without ego, and always remaining focused on identifying and solving the business problems at hand
10 Things That Describe You
Excellent communication skills
Influential and persuasive
+1: Good sense of humor