Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Our mission is to create a future for everyone. Across our three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
You will be a key member of the CZI Contracts Team, a part of CZI’s growing Legal and Grants team, and focus on commercial contracts and advising internal partners. You will collaborate with the initiatives and teams across CZI and help us administer and execute contracts critical to the success of our strategic mission and operational goals. In addition to working with educators, scientists, and change-makers to help CZI achieve its ambitious mission, you will also partner with infrastructure engineering to assist in the development and maintenance of our org-wide contracts management systems, policies, and processes. If you are a mission-oriented, systems-driven thinker who enjoys creating efficiencies, building scalable processes, and collaborating across multiple functions, you will fit right in.
• Review, analyze, negotiate, draft and complete commercial and business transactions including service, events, marketing, SaaS/software, and other commercial contracts.
• Provide interpretation of contract and policy language with the goal of maintaining a nimble and responsive approach to managing risk within a heavily resourced and scaling organization.
• Constantly interact with multiple internal clients regarding ongoing and future transactions.
• Resolve potential vendor disputes and terminate or enforce existing contracts.
• Maintain current and up-to-date knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and standards to ensure organizational adaptation and compliance.
• In partnership with others on the CZI Contracts Team, draft and maintain org-wide contracting forms, contract management systems, policies, and playbooks to increase efficiency and mitigate legal and business risk.
• In partnership with others on the CZI Contracts Team, coordinate internal compliance measures relating to internal business and legal policies, including helping prepare and conduct regular training sessions for team members throughout the organization.
• Eagerly contribute to general team and organizational operations, including taking on special projects and helping out with other functions, as necessary and time permitting.
• JD required and an active membership in at least one U.S. state bar, preferably California.
• 3+ years of relevant in-house experience with a focus on inbound contracts and client advising; prior law firm experience is a plus.
• Strong verbal and written communication, analytical and social skills.
• Ability to assess risk associated with inbound contracts, identify impact on strategic contract goals, and communicate issues and with non-legal clients.
• Comfort with learning and using tools and technology to improve process efficiency and transparency.
• Ability to prioritize and effectively balance client expectations.