Part of our vision is to empower talented people (attorneys and non-attorneys) to pursue their vision of a career that advances the public good. To that end, the attorney that fills this position will have a unique opportunity to grow with the company, influence what it becomes, and shape their career.
MLC believes in the value of a diverse and inclusive team, and strongly encourages candidates from historically marginalized groups to apply, including people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender non-conforming, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
There are many ways to be excellent and, while we expect everyone to have both strengths and weaknesses, we are looking for excellence in as many of the following skills as possible:
● Attention to Detail: MLC attorneys spend significant time drafting or reviewing governing documents, contracts, and regulatory filings, and it requires a certain mindset to minimize errors.
● Legal Analysis: Becoming an expert takes time, but it starts with an analytical and precise approach to answering complex legal questions.
● Customer Service: The success of our business relies on customer satisfaction, and keeping clients happy is an essential skill for an attorney in and of itself.
● Leadership and Teamwork: In a legal practice, it is easy to default to working alone. MLC wants to function as a team to the fullest extent possible and bring the most out of each other.
● Utilizing Technology: MLC wants to reduce the cost of legal services to non-profits by leveraging technology; we cannot do that without tech-savvy employees.
In addition to the above skills, MLC is prioritizing the following traits as it considers candidates for this position:
● Kindness: MLC operates on the principle that you cannot do good without being kind. And, even if you can, we are not interested in trying it here.
● Idealism: MLC is for attorneys who want to lean into their idealism and imagine how a law firm can be a progressive force, both externally and internally. The goal is to pay everyone well, but impact, rather than profit, will drive many decisions.
● Adaptability: MLC is a corporate and transactional practice. It is also a tax practice. Often it is a regulatory and compliance practice. Occasionally, it is a trust practice. And more practice areas may develop. Each MLC attorney may build their own areas of expertise, but we are looking for someone adaptable that enjoys learning and variety.