Google is an ambitious company. To push the limits of technology we have to take some bold steps. It’s the job of our Ethics & Compliance team to help us manage daring moves successfully. As a part of this group, you strive to identify risk in a non-traditional and ever-changing business. Your work allows us to navigate the uncertain aspects of our business future in creative ways that stay true to Google’s high ethical standards. As part of a team of whip-smart lawyers, you are a self-driven team player who is able to collaborate with colleagues in person or remotely. In this role, you’ll also work alongside local partners to better understand–and address–their business needs while staying true to your mission. This is a fantastic opportunity for any lawyer who enjoys a challenge, who has strong interpersonal skills, and a thirst for learning as much as they can about the business they support.
As an Associate Corporate Counsel, you will advise on all aspects of the political law compliance programs, with particular focus on lobbying and U.S. government ethics.
20th century laws don’t always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for handling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you’re a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in all aspects of the political law compliance programs, with particular focus on U.S. federal, state, and local laws pertaining to government ethics and lobbying. Assist in compliance with non-U.S. lobbying laws.
- Provide timely, practical legal advice to a broad array of stakeholders across Google, including public policy, commercial legal, and product teams.
- Design and manage user-focused and scalable compliance processes and training.
- Oversee federal, state, and local political law filings.
- Assist with other compliance programs as requested.
- J.D. or equivalent degree.
- 3 years of attorney experience with political law enforcement and compliance issues, focusing on federal/state/local gift rules and lobbying compliance.
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in the state in which the role is located.
- 5 years of compliance experience working in a fast-paced, high-tech environment.
- In-house experience building risk-based U.S. political law compliance programs for a significant number of users.
- Experience with campaign finance laws, including advising on contributions, corporate activity, and political committees.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to prioritize and manage numerous simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to professionalism and collegiality, along with the ability to thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated capability to navigate ambiguities and find creative, risk-based solutions to complex problems.