University of California, Santa BarbaraPay Rate/Range: 120,900 – 178,900
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Under the general supervision of the Chief Campus Counsel provides and applies legal service to the UCSB campus and collaborates on system-wide initiatives with other lawyers in the Office of the President and at other UC campuses. Supports contract officers in negotiations, due diligence and drafting of definitive agreements. Also, works closely with and provides legal advice to risk managers, human resources and compliance officers. Assures compliance in supported affiliations with applicable law and regulation including federal and state laws. Assists with the management of internal legal investigations and provides legal support to independent/non-privileged internal compliance and misconduct proceedings. Serves as a trusted strategic partner with University business units, providing practical advice and alternative solutions to business issues. Understands the diverse needs and interests of various stakeholder groups; creates and fosters an environment to ensure collegiality and information sharing. Establishes relationships and communication channels with campus partners, stakeholders, UCOP, etc. Directly negotiates matters on behalf of The Regents. May act as a liaison with outside counsel, and/or represent the University in complex litigation. Develops objectives and ensures service according to established priorities. Makes recommendations concerning areas of work to perform in-house, versus payment for an outside firm. Keeps informed and provides strategic advice on changing legislation and case law developments affecting overall operations of the University as they relate to the area of specialty. Interprets complex facts and the law in areas of high ambiguity. Contributes towards the success of initiatives by providing practical legal services and deliverables in a timely manner. Advises and renders opinions to senior leaders with respect to the legal implications of establishing or changing policy. Works with clients to develop and modify practices and procedures to conform with changing legal requirements. Requires an experienced professional who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field. Independently handles a full range of legal matters and projects, to include those which hold substantial importance and impact.
• JD from an accredited law school and California Bar admission
• Strong written communication skills and ability to create and deliver effective materials and/or presentations appropriate to a particular audience.
• Relevant practice experience in a law firm, or in-house counsel for an academic institution, corporation or other entity.
• Thorough understanding of complex legal issues and ability to foresee implications in a University setting, even when ambiguous or hidden.
• Relied on to represent institutional concerns persuasively to internal and external parties.
• In-depth research skills to draft accurate, complete and persuasive legal documents, such as pleadings, legal responses, affidavits, position statements and briefs.
• Strong coaching and leadership skills to provide clear expectations, guidance and performance feedback to less experienced attorneys and legal support staff.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills, including proven ability to actively listen, negotiate, persuade and educate.
• Skills to gain trust and build credibility with a broad group of colleagues and clients, to include senior leaders.
• Demonstrated commitment to the highest ethical standards.
• Proven decision making ability, even when unpopular, earning credibility and support from colleagues.
• Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion and tact when handling sensitive or potentially sensitive issues.
• Proven abilities in collaboration, facilitation, and strategic and creative thinking.
• Trusted partner with senior management and a diverse spectrum of clients
• Expert knowledge of and ability to apply legal knowledge and advise others in the following areas:
◦ Labor & employment laws at the federal and state levels including but not limited to wage & hour, EEO, privacy, etc.; and/or
◦ Procurement laws & regulations and business contracts development & negotiation at the federal, state, and local levels.Special Conditions of Employment
• The below licenses, certificates, credentials, bondability, altered work schedules, furloughs, travel, etc are required for this position:
• Satisfactory criminal history background check
• Prior experience providing legal services to Universities and/or public sector entities, advising clients on employment and labor matters, contract matters, student matters including student conduct and Title IX, and litigation matters.
• Must be a member in good standing of the California Bar. (Out-of-state hire would be afforded time to pass the Bar within a reasonable period.)
• Travel for business/trainings/briefings/etc.
• Travel Outside of normal Business Hours
• Experience in higher education setting
Job # 26864