Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Job Code 1: D01.3 Attorney 3
Job Code 2: D01.4 Attorney 4
Organization: Office of the Director
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Referral Bonus: Not applicable
We have an opening for an Assistant General Counsel – Labor, Employment & Benefits. This attorney’s primary areas of practice will include employment law counseling and litigation management, employee benefits and traditional labor law. We are looking for a bright, collegial attorney with a flexible mindset, sound judgment, and an enthusiasm for addressing unique legal issues in an intellectually stimulating environment. The successful candidate will be one who enjoys working in a collaborative office and building good working relationships with diverse internal groups. You will be ultimately responsible for a wide-ranging legal portfolio and will have the opportunity to learn the business of operating and managing a US Department of Energy laboratory with a national security mission. This role will sit in the Office of the General Counsel, which is part of the Director’s Office.This position will be filled at the level depending on the applicant’s qualifications. Additional job responsibilities will be assigned if the candidate is selected at the higher level.
• Provide a broad range of legal services related to the operation of a national laboratory with a focus on employment law counseling and litigation management, employee benefits and traditional labor law.
• Assume responsibility for a substantive employment, benefits and labor law portfolio that will be tailored to both internal need and an applicant’s strengths and interests. Support the continued and critical operations of a premier research laboratory.
• Serve as a trusted advisor by providing practical advice and developing alternative solutions and strategies in complex situations. Specifically, advise on sensitive matters of law, policy, sponsor engagement, and risk management, and assume a leadership role in working with management, peers, and other professional staff on multi-disciplinary teams in order to address diverse and multi-faceted legal and business matters that may significantly impact the Laboratory’s operations, mission success, employees, and reputation.
• Under guidance from the General Counsel, represent the Laboratory in complex legal matters to include providing legal advice to management in developing Laboratory policy, planning legal strategies for assigned matters, supervising outside law firms and solving problems with potential institutional significance.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the D01.4 level
• Give advice and recommendations to all levels of management on issues of moderate risk, address legal issues that are diverse and multi-faceted in scope implicating the interests of multiple stakeholders
• Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
• Juris doctor from an ABA accredited law school and either admission to practice in California or eligibility for a limited practice license as registered in-house counsel in California.
• Five or more years of experience actively practicing law in a law firm; as government counsel in an agency of the federal, state or local government; as a military lawyer; or as in-house counsel for a company, an academic institution or a non-profit.
• Experience providing practical legal advice in the context of a complex regulatory environment; expert-level knowledge of some combination of employment counseling and litigation management, benefits, and traditional labor law and demonstrated ability to master new areas of law quickly.
• Ability to act as a team player in collaborating and building productive working relationships with other individuals and groups as defined by collegiality, contributing to the successful outcome of initiatives, information sharing, being fully accountable, and respecting others.
• Have a record of acting with integrity and high ethical standards.
• Ability to make and communicate difficult decisions, sometimes under time pressure and with incomplete information, and to influence and build consensus.
• Have a track record of exercising sound, independent judgment in advising all levels of staff and management about legal and reputational risk and tradeoffs among possible courses of action. Experience maintaining confidentiality with regards to sensitive issues.
• Experience advising all levels of management, and handling matters of the highest urgency and complexity, implicating the interests of multiple stakeholders
• Experience working at or with a DOE national laboratory or other federally funded research and development center (FFRDC)
• Experience practicing labor and employment law in California.
• Prior interaction with and knowledge with some or all of the U.S. Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) and/or the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
• Experience with managing, litigation, and compliance risk in the context of a governmental entity or publicly traded corporation
• This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
• Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
• Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
• Comprehensive Benefits Package
• Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
• Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.